Wednesday, June 30, 2004

#100

I finished the bookmark last night while we watched a movie. Not bad for my first attempt at thread. My second attempt is not going so well, but I'm not giving up, either. I sent the bookmark to my grandmother in Michigan this afternoon, as she gave me tips while we were there. Truly, she read a pattern to me while I tried to make it resemble the photographed project in the magazine. Then she praised my pitiful little double crochet stitches and graciously accepted my pressuring to let her 'take over'. I hope I can get the hang of it; I really want to make snowflakes this year for Christmas. We are getting a tree, I'd always opted not to because it is just the two of us, but this year I want one. I want to cover it with snowflakes, and I can't do that unless I learn how to use thread. Motivation is a wonderful thing.



I also finally finished the hat and scarf for my niece. Her Christmas is done now, the EasyBake Oven along with the hat and scarf should be more than enough to make her happy. I doubt the oven will make her mother happy, but that is not my problem. My sister threw down the gauntlet when she bought my then 3 year old nephew a drum set for Christmas. I figure it's anything goes after that!



I made a Michaels run today, because I had a 40% off coupon from the newspaper. Why can I never find anything worth buying when I have a 40% off coupon? I don't want to buy a skein of yarn, that isn't much of a deal. I tend to buy books if I can find any that seem interesting, so today I bought Home Sweet Home Afghans and am very well pleased. I see one of the Amazon reviewers says "Most of the patterns have a dated, 60's, 70's look to them." I don't think I can agree for "most" of the patterns, but a good number of them did have that classic country home look to them. I did buy it for that reason, so I'm pleased with the purchase overall. It tickles me that the reviewer thought that was a negative.

Has anyone bought the Tunisian Crochet books from Annie's Attic? They are very tempting to me. As if I don't have enough afghan patterns to choose from!