Saturday, March 12, 2005

Vanity Fair

Isn't it pretty?



It's from the Leisure Arts book Dainty Little Doilies and my first Patricia Kristoffersen doily pattern. I'm going to have a hard time parting with it, but I will as it is a gift. It isn't very big, as the title of the book implies. The pattern stated 7½ inches, but when I get my hands on it I manage to knock two inches off the diameter and bring it down to 5½ inches. This is even after going up two hook sizes to a 5 from the suggested size 7. I'm open to all kinds of suggestions here, tips on crocheting looser with thread. I have sent the recipient a doily of this finished size before and she was thrilled, even requesting more doilies of the same size. That of course may be fine, but I need to figure out how to stitch looser so I'm not losing size. I don't want to tackle a doily with size 20 thread, if I can't manage to get a doily close to gauge with the size 10.

In the meantime, the doily was very interesting to stitch. Lots of things going on texturally as well as visually. Not only double treble stitches in this doily, but treble and double treble popcorn stitches too. I thought those yarn overs would never end! :o)

Yes, I'm definitely going to have a hard time parting with this doily.